The Level 2 International Award in Fire Safety is a qualification suitable for anyone involved in the management of fire safety in a workplace. This includes managers, supervisors, team leaders, fire wardens (marshals) and staff working in any area where there is a potential risk of fire.
Individuals achieving this qualification can then progress onto:
• Highfield Level 3 Award in Risk Assessment (QCF)
• Highfield Level 3 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (QCF).
Learners will sit a 1-hour multiple-choice examination containing 30 questions and must achieve at least 18 (60%) correct answers to be awarded a Pass. Learners achieving 21 (70%) or more correct answers will achieve a Merit and those who achieve a pass of 24 (80%) correct answers will be awarded a distinction.
What Will You Learn?
- 1. Understand the hazards and risks associated with fire in the workplace
- 2. Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace
- 3. Understand the principles and practice of fire safety management
- 4. Understand the role of the nominated fire warden
1. Understand the hazards and risks associated with fire in the workplace
1.1 Explain how fires are caused in the workplace00:00
1.2 Describe the components of the fire triangle00:00
1.3 Identify the hazards during or after a fire, including the products of combustion00:00
1.4 Describe the characteristics of fire and smoke spread00:00
2. Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace
2.1 State the different methods used to identify and control fire hazards00:00
2.2 Define the term ‘means of escape’ in relation to fire hazards00:00
2.3 Outline typical components for means of escape from fire hazards00:00
2.4 Describe methods of fire detection and raising the alarm00:00
2.5 Describe the principle of how fires are extinguished00:00
2.6 Describe how portable fire-fighting equipment should be used safely00:00
2.7 Identify common fixed fire-fighting systems and where they might be used00:00
3. Understand the principles and practice of fire safety management
3.1 Outline the duties of employers and employees with respect to fire safety in the workplace.00:00
3.2 Outline how to undertake a simple fire safety inspection in the workplace00:00
3.3 Describe the stages involved in a fire risk assessment00:00
4. Understand the role of the nominated fire warden
4.1 State the role and function of fire wardens in their workplace00:00
4.2 Outline the content of a fire safety briefing00:00